I mentioned in the previous post that I went on a hike with my parents, aunts and cousin. We hiked at an area called the Paint Mines. The area is quite interesting, it is located just outside Calhan, Co. The Paint Mines are somewhat of a hidden gem amidst the short-grass prairie.
There were some very interesting features, hoodoos, spires, chasms and other various formations. It is an interpretive hike, so there were a number of signs along the way with geological and historical information about the area. The Paint Mines were used by Native Americans for pottery as well as ceremonial paint. It's easy to understand why, the colors were vivid and very beautiful.
Although the rock features are not as impressive as what I've seen in Utah, it is a really neat area. It is clearly a unique place. It doesn't quite seem to belong. Almost an alien world out on the prairie. I am glad that I was able to see it and would certainly recommend checking it out!















No comments:
Post a Comment